South | Handwoven Wool Rug
100% wool, handwoven in Varna, Bulgaria, limited edition 1 of 3
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE for orders over $150
Size: 104 x 77cm
Featured in Review of Bulgarian Design 2019 Exhibit
15% of all rug sales benefit the Very Vulnerable Women Migrant Project of Foundation Center for Legal Aid - Voice in Bulgaria
“A southern moon is a sodden moon, and sultry. When it swamps the fields and the rustling sandy roads and the sticky honeysuckle hedges in its sweet stagnation, your fight to hold on to reality is like a protestation against a first waft of ether.”
~ Zelda Fitzgerald
To keep your woven wool piece clean and fresh you can dry clean it or go the old fashioned way - clean it with snow.
1. Shake the rug well, releasing any dust or loose dirt. Hang outside and let acclimate to the temperature for at least a half hour.
2. Lay the rug in 3"-5" of snow, give yourself a large area to work in. With the broom, flip a good amount of snow across the entire surface.
3. Beat the snow all around the rug with the flat side of the broom. The trace amounts of ammonia in the snow will react with the cold air and cause any dirt or grime to solidify and fall out of the rug.
4. Let the snow sit on the rug for 15-20 minutes before flipping it over and repeating steps 1-3 on the other side.
5. Shake as much excess snow off the rug as you possibly can before hanging it over a railing or clothesline. Leave it to hang for 20-30 minutes to allow the snow to sublimate. The snow will go from it's solid phase to vapor without actually getting the rug wet.
Please, be aware that due to the hand made process each piece will have its own unique qualiies and imperfections that add to the character and value of the object. This fact is both our strength and our weakness. At times it drives us nuts, yet at the same time it is the very thing that makes each woven object special and individual. There are days we think we've chosen the hardest production model ever. Sigh. At least we are enjoying it!